11 Feb New Year, New You: Paleo, Keto, Whole30 or WFPB?
With the hustle and bustle of holiday-mania 2018 in your rear-view mirror, you might be thinking “New year, new me – time for a detox.” Or maybe you just need to drop a few holiday “leftovers” toppling over your waistband. We so get it. You’ve totally come to the right place, yo. Before you jump into the Paleo, Keto, Whole 30, Whole Food Plant Based or another trending diet craze, we’ve got the scoop for you on these popular diets, along with our URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN dishes that are oh, so fantastically compliant.
To top it off, we’ve got some “new year, new URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN” menu items that will score high on your what’s trending in diets radar. Stevia or quinoa, anyone? Avocado spinach “toast” sound good? We thought so. Let’s start with some of the hot-button diets that are battling it out with each other for best of the best… and the URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN lip-smacking goods you’ll be craving… not cheating.
The Paleo Diet
Based upon characteristics of ancient diets, the Paleo Diet includes lean, grass-fed meats, wild game, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and oils — foods that could be obtained by hunting and gathering. The aim is for people to return to a way of eating that’s more like what early, paleolithic humans ate, because today’s human body may be genetically mismatched to the modern diet.
Try these URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN goodies:
- Juices: First Base; Second Base; Celery Juice
- Smoothies: Over the Rainbow (substitute coconut water for apple juice); Little Lacey
- Avocado Toasts: Substituting spinach for bread, most of our avocado “toasts” can be paleo-friendly, including Avocado + Toast, Avocado + Egg, Avocado + Kimchi, Avocado + Olive, Avocado + Salmon, Avocado + Burrata
The Keto Diet
The low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein ketogenic diet allows the body to produce small fuel molecules called ketones to be used as an alternative fuel source for the body. On a ketogenic diet, your entire body switches its fuel supply and runs mostly on fat. By allowing a very low carb and moderate protein intake, the body enters a metabolic state called ketosis, burning off excess fat.
Indulge in these URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN scrumptious delights:
- Juices: First Base; Second Base; Celery Juice
- Smoothies: Over the Rainbow (substitute coconut water for apple juice; add avocado for fat)
- Avocado Toasts: Substituting spinach for bread, most of our avocado “toasts” can be keto-friendly, including Avocado + Toast, Avocado + Egg, Avocado + Kimchi, Avocado + Olive, Avocado + Salmon, Avocado + Burrata
Emphasizing whole foods along with the elimination of processed sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy and dairy, the Whole30 diet includes moderate portions of meat, seafood and eggs, high quantities of vegetables, fruits and lots of natural fats like nuts and seeds. Foods with very few ingredients—or no ingredients, because they’re whole and unprocessed—make up the Whole30 plan.
Let your mouth water over these URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN feel-good foods:
- Juices: All juices are Whole30 compliant
- Smoothies: B-A-N-A-N-A-S (substitute stevia for agave); Over the Rainbow; Mean Green; Little Lacey; Kale Me Crazy (substitute stevia for agave)
- Smoothie Bowls: All bowls can be made Whole30 – remove granola and agave
- Avocado Toasts: Substituting spinach for bread, most of our avocado “toasts” can be Whole30-friendly, including Avocado + Toast, Avocado + Egg, Avocado + Kimchi, Avocado + Olive, Avocado + Salmon, Avocado + Burrata
Whole Food Plant Based Diet
While there are countless meat and dairy free diets out there, the most common of them is the whole food plant-based diet, which focuses on whole, unprocessed plant-based foods. With an emphasis on whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, a WFPB diet is completely free from animal products. Just an FYI… we now have quinoa!
Take note… just about any URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN goods can be made plant-based. Ask us about our daily soup specials! Lip-smacking menu faves:
- Juices: All juices are 100 percent organic and vegan
- Smoothies: B-A-N-A-N-A-S; Over the Rainbow; Mean Green; Little Lacey
- Smoothie Bowls: All bowls are vegan
- Avocado Toasts: Avocado + Toast; Avocado + Kimchi (ask for spinach on your avocado toast, or in place of bread)
REROOT YOUR LIFE
Stay up to date with everything URBAN ROOTS KITCHEN… For the latest juicy news, follow us on social media (@URBANROOTSKITCHENS), subscribe to our newsletter and blog, or pop into our Saratoga Springs store! We have awesome hours: Monday – Friday (7AM – 9PM) and weekends (8AM – 7PM)! Have a friend looking to reroot their life – get them started with a gift card. Local to Saratoga? Ask us about our many rewards programs!